1 lb. of Papa George’s 85% Lean Pure American Ground Lamb
1 ½ lbs of all-purpose potatoes, peeled, quartered, and well rinsed
1 tbs butter
Salt and ground white pepper to taste
3 tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 cup green peas
1 tbs. all-purpose flour
¾ cup beef or vegetable stock
1 tbs. dried thyme
1 tbs. dried rosemary
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup of Cheddar cheese, grated.
1. Prepare the mashed potatoes by placing potatoes in a large pot of cold water over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving half a cup of the cooking water. Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher, adding the cooking water with 1 tablespoon of butter, salt and ground white pepper to taste. Beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Pan fry on low heat (using 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil) the chopped onion, carrot, and peas until softened, for about 15 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to medium and add 1 lb. of Papa George’s 85% Lean Pure American Lamb. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until it is brown evenly. Spoon off any fat.
5. Add ¾ cup beef or vegetable stock, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let it cool slightly.
6. Spread the lamb mixture over the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or baking dish. Then spread a thick layer of mashed potatoes on top and, with a fork, draw lines down the pan.
7.Sprinkle the Cheddar on top and broil for about 10 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are browned. Let cool slightly, then serve directly from baking dish.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Print This Recipe