This recipe was prepared by a young at heart couple, originally from Boone Iowa, now living in Denver Colorado. Thanks Mary and Pat!
• 1 pound cooked Papa George’s Sage Sausage
• ¾ cup chopped onion
• ¾ cup chopped celery
• 2 teaspoon dried sage
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
• Sea salt and course ground black pepper to taste
• 2 eggs slightly beaten
• 2 cups cubed whole grain bread (dried or place on oven rack for 8 minutes at 350°)
• 2 cups cubed white bread(dried or place on oven rack for 8 minutes at 350°)
• 1 14-0z can chicken broth
• 2/4 cup fresh cranberries
• 1 Delicious apple cored and chopped
• Optional – Turkey liver, finely chopped
• 4 tablespoons butter, dotted on top
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, parsley, thyme, and salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
3. Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, cranberries, parsley, and liver. Fold in chicken broth and eggs.
4. Spoon into lightly greased baking dish.
5. Bake for 30- 45 minutes at 350